From Middle English
, from Old English
, preterite form of
. The addition of the silent 'l' was likely a misappropriation attempting to normalize with modal verbs
However, while the letter l was historically pronounced in the latter two, can never did have an l sound in it.
- Lua error in Module:IPA/templates at line 25: Please enter a language code in the first parameter. The value "/kʊd/" is not valid., Template:X-SAMPA
- Lua error in Module:utilities at line 145: The language code "en-us-could.ogg" is not valid.
- Lua error in Module:rhymes at line 57: The parameter "2" is required.
- Template:simple past of
- Before I was blind, I could see very well.
- Used to politely ask for permission to do something.
- Could I borrow your coat?
- Used to politely ask for someone else to do something.
- Could you proof read this email?
- Used to show the possibility that something might happen.
- We could rearrange the time if you like.
- Used to suggest something.
- You could try adding more salt to the soup.