Lua error in Module:compound/templates at line 63: The |lang= parameter is not used by this template. Place the language code in parameter 1 instead., since 1706 or earlier.
- cannot; is unable to; does not have the ability to
- I can't quite get it to work.
- is forbidden to; is not permitted to
- You can't enter the hall without a ticket.
- Logically impossible. Logical negative conclusion. (Often with "be")
The butler can't be the murderer because he was in London that evening.
- Some US dialects that glottalize the final /t/ in can't (/kæn(ʔ)/), in order to differentiate can't from can, pronounce can as /kɛn/ even when stressed.
- For other translations, see and .
- ^ “can't” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2020.
- ^ “can't” in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.